In April 1944, during the first general body meeting of CHAI at Bangalore, it was decided to publish the in-house bulletin named Catholic Hospital. The magazine was registered by the Post Master General, Bihar and Orissa Circle on February 13, 1945, in Patna. Under Sr Leatitia’s editorship, the sixteen-page magazine began the circulation in November 1944 and continued through 1948 to 1953 as bimonthly. The magazine was subsequently registered in New Delhi under the new title Medical Service, the official organ of the Catholic Hospital Association – India, Pakistan, Burma and Ceylon. Pakistan first appears in the title on the January-February 1959 issue. The articles projected what was going on in the medical circles around the world, and involvement in contemporary medical movements.
The in-house magazine of CHAI – Medical Service evolved into Health Action published under a separate society registered as Health Accessories for all (HAFA) in 1987. The first issue was launched in January 1988. The Registration No. is H/SD/165/2003, RNI No.44961/88.
Health Action disseminates information on various health topics to enable people to gain adequate knowledge of health so that they can take care of their health as well as that of others. The magazine targets paramedical staff as well as health activists who work in various parts of our country.
We enlighten the readers with the basic information on important and current health issues to create sufficient awareness. Each topic is given an in-depth treatment. We make conscious effort to present authentic information in a simple and lucid style.
- promotes health, health activism and community development
- deals with topics like Women and Child, Reproductive Health, Safe Motherhood, Health Rights, School Health, Mental Health, Nutrition and so on
- promotes alternative systems of medicine and low-cost therapies
(The order is subject to change)
- Critical Review of NRHM
- Use of Steroids and Health
- 12th Five Year Plan and Health
- Environmental Health
- Rheumatic Heart Disease
- Critical Review of Diagnostic Centres
- Respiratory/ Gastro-intestinal/ Renal/ and Endocrine Disorders
- 70 Years of CHAI, 25 Years of Health Action
- Use of Cosmetics
- Medical Education
- Iatrogenic Diseases